#HugOurTree subscribes towards the achievement of all of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and especially the following ones:
1.Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts (taking note of agreements made by the UNFCCC forum)
It is too late to just talk about reducing carbon emissions, we need to draw the excess from the atmosphere; trees are the best technology for that. 50% of a tree’s biomass is carbon and forests regulate the water cycle and create clouds.
2.Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification and halt and reverse land degradation, and halt biodiversity loss
Forests are home to 80% of terrestrial biodiversity, including the largest share of threatened species. Healthy forests are also the best barrier against the desert.
3. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development
It takes more than a forester to restore a forest, together with scientists, governments, cooperatives, universities and other NGO´s we can make it happen.
4. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all
5. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
Forests play a key role in soil filtration, in cloud formation and precipitation, slowing surface ‘run-offs’.
6. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture
Sustainable agriculture combined with forestry, helps people diversify their diet and improve nutrition.
7.End poverty in all its forms everywhere
Restoring forests is the best tool we´ve found to lift entire communities out of extreme poverty.
8. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Women are change makers, and we empower them through training and micro-enterprises such as nurseries.